“The first step towards getting somewhere is to decide that you are not going to stay where you are.” ~ J. Pierpont Morgan
Almost everyone who talks to me about self-care seems to think that self-care is about taking long indulgent baths with candles burning and soft music playing in the background. Or it’s getting a massage, or having a facial. There’s nothing wrong with any of those, and sometimes they might be just what you need, but today I’d like to offer some self-care alternatives to scented beauty products and body work.
The following acts of self-care are tried and tested, and may well prove to give more lasting effects that a mani-pedi.
- Close your computer, put down the phone, stand up, and go for a walk outside. Breathe deeply. Be aware of your surroundings. Do this daily for best results.
- Meal plan for a healthy week; shop the plan, cook to the plan, eat to the plan.
- Start a savings account, or create and follow a simple plan to pay down debt. Money problems too overwhelming for that? Seek advice. Get a plan. Follow it.
- Have an early night once a week. Turn off the wifi. Sleep.
- Hydrate. Drink enough water each day.
- Journal, and use oracle or tarot cards as tools for self-reflection. Work out how you feel about yourself and your life. Understanding that positions you to make better choices.
- Spend some time in nature each week, alone or with favourite people or animal companions.
- Unkink your body. Try yoga, pilates or good old-fashioned stretches. Consider getting a stand-up desk or a balance ball instead of a chair.
- Meditate, even if it’s only five minutes. Meditation calms and centers us, and helps us find our way back to ourselves, our soul and to Spirit. Try any of these simple techniques: Easy Five Minute Meditation, Three Minute Essential Oil Meditation, Taking Energy From Trees, Eating The Sun Meditation.
- Make time each week for a hobby or interest that you care about. Time spent doing what you love is never wasted, and can be an oasis of safety and replenishment in an otherwise difficult life.
Your life matters, and taking care of yourself helps you to live sustainably and with joy.
Choose kindness today, for yourself and towards those around you.
Much love, Nicole ❤ xoxo