Education Secretary Betsy DeVos on Friday rescinded a set of Obama-era guidelines for investigating campus sexual assault cases, the Associated Press reported. The department has implemented interim rules for the time being but did not disclose what those rules entailed.
BREAKING: Education Secretary rescinds Obama-era guidance on investigating campus sexual assault, puts interim rules in place.
— The Associated Press (@AP) September 22, 2017
Previously, DeVos said the Obama-era rules were part of a “failed system” that punished those who had been “wrongfully accused.”
“There are men and women, boys and girls, who are survivors, and there are men and women, boys and girls who are wrongfully accused,” DeVos said in a speech at George Mason University in Arlington, Virginia in early September. “I’ve met them personally. I’ve heard their stories. And the rights of one person can never be paramount to the rights of another.”
DeVos Press Secretary Liz Hill told ThinkProgress’ Joshua Eaton at the time that the Obama-era guidance, which was issued back in 2011, would be replaced, but did not offer up further details.
“The Office for Civil Rights will work directly with schools to provide support and technical assistance,” she said.
This is a breaking news story and will be updated as more information becomes available.